Sunday 13 May 2012

Virtualised Debian Squeeze on Readynas

 After burning my Readynas through reckless upgrades I noticed some comments referencing chroot. This promised a way to have an up to date system and protection from rogue packaging problems.

root@velvet:/# cat /etc/debian_version
4.0
 
apt-get install debootstrap 
cd /usr/share/debootstrap/scripts
ln -s lenny squeeze
debootstrap squeeze /c/home/squeeze

chroot /c/home/squeeze



root@velvet:/# cat /etc/debian_version
6.0.4

All very simple and very nice.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for an advice!
    I'm currently in the process of setting up several Ruby on Rails apps (different ruby/rails versions) under RVM on my new ReadyNAS Ultra 2 Plus, and already faced a lot of troubles due to archaic Debian Etch packages. In fact, had to compile lots of software manually, modify installation/config scripts etc just to make Rails work. Will definitely try debootstrap and see how it goes.
    I see you've been running bootstrapped Squeeze for some time already, how stable is this approach? Did it break any of the original Radiator functionality?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pavio,
    I have had no issues. I am currently only using it for stuff that will not run with Etch, mainly Marklogic. I can access the Marklogic web services on port 8000 etc at the same time as the frontview web services.

    ReplyDelete
  3. chroot and android
    http://mitchtech.net/category/tutorials/chroot/

    ReplyDelete
  4. i can't believ it, it works ? with no problems ?

    ReplyDelete